The Scenic Art Builders Association
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Scenic Art Builders Association

All about how to create scenic models

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Rules

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
fox-uk
Admin

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2007-08-08

Rules Empty
PostSubject: Rules   Rules Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2007 9:01 am

As the rules are being drafted now, this is the time to put in your own suggestions.

Please remember that casts are to be extras to compliment Bruce's range and NOT to replace what he does now or in the future.

Fox

PS - Herself says I'm getting too much like Filch in Harry Potter and Neil will never allow me to hang people up by the thumbs. But I can only hope.............................
Back to top Go down
SABA Admin
Admin
SABA Admin

Number of posts : 60

Rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rules   Rules Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2007 9:03 am

hey fox UK

I think everyone should be able to buy as many as they want to buy although each order should only ba able to go upto say 10 casts.As the person doing the cast will have to give some of their time time.also i think any profit that comes from the cast should go towards the SABA web site.

what do you all think about these surrgestions that i have made?

thanx

Neil.
Back to top Go down
https://saba.forumotion.com
fox-uk
Admin

Rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rules   Rules Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2007 9:05 am

If we are using different people as moulders 10 coppies of a mould could be a problem for some and a doddle for others. I would like to reduce that to 5 but say more at the moulder's discretion.

There should be some way of calculating a 'standard compensation' for the cost of the materials to make a mould and the same for casting materials. Some may just do the making but some can't afford the extra.

The profit should go towards the running costs of HAAUK not just the website. Just think about the cost if there were 1000 members?

How about the Hirst Arts UK Moulding Group as a variation of the title? Project seems a bit schoolboy in British english. It should be clear that the casts and organisation are part of the HAAUK. In the States there is no HAAUSA so there is no parent organisation to consider.

Fox

BTW - that's my hat, my glasses and my goatee beard you're wearing - if you were overweight, and balding we could be bruvvers :oP
Back to top Go down
SABA Admin
Admin
SABA Admin

Rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rules   Rules Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2007 9:07 am

Hi Fox UK & everyone....

I think also that we should not stop selling the casts just because the mould is old, in other words once a mold has been created the casts should be available for as long as "The UK Community Mold Project" is running. I don't mind making the mould , even paying for the RTV Silicon as long as in can keep the mould here as I also would almost certainly be the person doing the casting. I think I should do the casting as I don¿t work and I have a bit of time to do casting for the "HAAUK" and "The UK Community Mold Project" and all I ask in return is more casting materials like "Herculite Stone" as this is a good quality plaster and I'm use to it already

Please let me know what you all think about this offer?

Thanx

Neil.
Back to top Go down
fox-uk
Admin

Rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rules   Rules Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2007 9:09 am

It sounds like an insane offer. Have you been taking the tablets?????????????????

Seriously it's generous and the only problem I can see is people who wouldn't be so generous themselves worrying about what you are getting out of it..............

With the equipment that you have there won't be any problem with quality so there's no problem I can see.

I'm not sure whether herculite is suitable for carving though so basics for adaptation may need a different material. Any suggestions?

Fox
Back to top Go down
SABA Admin
Admin
SABA Admin

Rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rules   Rules Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2007 9:10 am

Hey everyone....

The reason I said about using Herculite Stone is for the casts that we would be sending out to those who brought them. I don¿t think the casts would need much modification to get them to fit. Herculite Stone is strong and will get to the person in great condition, but if you use a soft material then they may break going thought the post system. Herculite Stone can be sanded very easy with sandpaper also Herculite Stone has the lest growth after casting out of all the plasters that I know about. If anyone has any better materials for the cast please let me know?

Thanx

Neil.
Back to top Go down
fox-uk
Admin

Rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rules   Rules Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2007 9:11 am

We're at crossed purposes Neil ............ My fault

Herself would say ............ 'As usual'

Scratch the
'I'm not sure whether herculite is suitable for carving though so basics for adaptation may need a different material. Any suggestions?'
It should be on another thread

Fox

P.S. - My head's screwed on sideways a bit at the mo' .......
Back to top Go down
SABA Admin
Admin
SABA Admin

Rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rules   Rules Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2007 9:13 am

hi everyone...

Thats ok Fox, sometimes i find it very difficult to express what i am thinking through words in forums. Prehaps its not just you but me aswell, anyways this does not matter as long as we get things sorted in the end. I do agree we need to start a new thread about the materials you can use for carving and the pros and cons.

Thanx

Neil.
Back to top Go down
abaroth

abaroth

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2007-08-09

Rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rules   Rules Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2007 9:18 am

As far as rules go, the one that MUST be adhered to is:

all pieces submitted MUST be 100% original,

i.e. no replicas of other people's stuff - if you wish to sculpt your own copy of a piece, that's different.

We DO NOT want to end up being sued for copyright breach!
Back to top Go down
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/abarothsworld/
fox-uk
Admin

Rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rules   Rules Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2007 9:19 am

I agree we just don't want the hassle of copyright infringement. It's the cost of defence that is more onerous than the judgement these days.

Can I suggest that if a carving looks similar to an existing piece a precaution would be to take photos of it being carved?

Otherwise we'd have problems with fieldstone as it all looks the same to me anyway

Discretion is the better part of valour?

Jon
Back to top Go down
SABA Admin
Admin
SABA Admin

Rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rules   Rules Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2007 9:24 am

hi everyone...

You bring up a very good point, we definatly have to protect ourselves against masters that look very very similar to any blocks on a mould currently in production by any other company.

Thanks

Neil.
Back to top Go down
billywizuk

billywizuk

Number of posts : 29

Rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rules   Rules Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2007 1:32 pm

Oh dear rocking the boat again and I will probably upset Scousey even more here. There is a huge difference between using someone elses work as as a starting block and creating something that may look similar but exists in real life. I do beleive that there are many distributers of the common house brick and breeze block, and I have not heard of blue circle cement saying that if you build any houses built using their product they get a piece of the profit. We must adhere to common sense here. Your OWN work can be similar but with subtle differences i.e. texturing and I believe you can use any measurement you want (including the imperial scale). There is no way that we will not upset somebody along the line, it's simply a case of damage limitation guys.
Sorry Surprised
BillyWiz (if any one wishes a copy of copyright law contact me)

Last edited by on Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://billywiz-productions.mysite.orange.co.uk/
merlynhawk

merlynhawk

Number of posts : 3

Rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rules   Rules Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2007 2:19 pm

Right on, Billy! Very Happy

Let common sense rule.

As an artist in traditional medium (pencil on paper) I know that we can take our inspiration from many places. Sometimes what we do looks similar to the piece we took our inspiration from and sometimes it doesn't and we are never going to please all of the people all of the time, no matter what we do.

And in my humble opinion, some people enjoy being the big fish in the little pond; it makes them feel powerful, but trying to dictate to the little fish across the pond just ain't gonna work.

It's kinda like Snap-On Tools trying to take a cut of every service done just because the spanner used looks similar to a Snap-On spanner.

And just in case some people don't realise, I am an American, resident in the UK. So if the Yanks want to take exception to anything I've said ... bring it on. Twisted Evil

Hawk (aka - Fox's herself)
http://merlynhawk.deviantart.com/
Back to top Go down
http://merlynhawk.deviantart.com/
billywizuk

billywizuk

Rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rules   Rules Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2007 12:11 pm

Having chatted to the legal member of my family the law basically states that to use a piece created from Bruces' mould, adapt it and then sell it as your own is illegal and a breach of his copyright (fair enough). To create your own piece that looks similar, adapt it, and create more to sell is not and is an excepted form of business (it is best to keep records of how the piece was created). The fact that these pieces may in turn compliment another piece from another distributer really only benefits everybody as the pieces kind of need one another to be of any use. Kind of like Tamya plastic kits and Revell plastic glue. I don't think they complain although both make the same scale models and same type of glue. Both companies recommend one another for specific model parts. Thanks for the input and backup Fox's Herself Smile. Hopefully we can all move on from this subject and get on with carving new pieces to further the great creations we dream about building. Let them complain, they will find something else later to complain about.

BillyWiz
Back to top Go down
fox-uk
Admin

Rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rules   Rules Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2007 12:56 pm

Must be a day for sense.

I've always thought that just taking Bruce's tower pieces and carving another surface on them was a bit dodgy. But everybody elsewhere did it.

But creating a tower piece that is similar to Bruce's and competes directly with his is legal. And everybody elsewhere threw their hands up in horror when anyone suggested it.

The second is a complete creation. The first a complete taking of a significant part of the process of creation i.e. the design of the overall shape.

I think that using a casting in a way that it is no longer recognisable as it's origin is also ok?????? e.g. A slab could be cast for the plaster block from one of Bruce's moulds and be converted into a different texture. appearance and shape.

Intellectual rights is a real moneymaker for lawyers these days.

Hopefully we will be getting the carving blanks sorted soon as cutting every tab on my wall builder stuff is driving me to distrction. And that solves the problem from the very start.

All the best,

Jon
Back to top Go down
billywizuk

billywizuk

Rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rules   Rules Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2007 2:07 pm

So very true mate. If we all use these masters then nobody can complain, there can be no litigation and the lawyers, (the only ones who really profit from this) can get paid from something else. Copyright law is almost as bad as, dare I say it, political correctness.

Smile

BillyWiz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rules   Rules Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rules
Page 1 of 1